Monday, August 6, 2007

On Saturday Afternoons in 1963



So I've had this song on repeat for the past twenty minutes. Something about it just stops me dead in my tracks. Takes the wind right out of my lungs. Sometimes I wish more things in life had that effect on me. Music always has. Since day one. But not much else. A really amazing film or a brilliant novel can send me into a temporary trance-like state. But music can alter my entire mindset. It's strange and mystical and, moreover, real.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have one of the more ecclectic music collections around. A good number of the artists I hold nearest and dearest most people have never even heard of. Yet it still surprises me when I'm at a bar and a song comes on and my friends look at me instantly asking, "Who is this?" and I rapid-fire spit out the artist, song title, and usually the album it comes from without even really thinking about it. And my friends either nod and say, "Thanks" or they stare at me blankly and say, "How the hell did you know that?" I'm weird, guys. I know music pretty well. Which leads me to a new thought....

Am I in the wrong industry?

That being said I set off on another adventure in the world of production tomorrow. So far all I know about the job is that it will go for two weeks and it's "kinda craziness" whatever that means. I would have liked a little more time off, but unfortunately sitting on my ass at home doesn't pay the bills. If only...

Here are some quick lyrics to the song the title of this blog is named after:

"On Saturday Afternoons in 1963" by Rickie Lee Jones

The most as you'll ever go
Is back where you used to know
If grown-ups could laugh this slow
Where as you watch the hour snow
Years may go by

So hold on to your special friend
Here, you'll need something to keep her in
Now you stay inside this foolish grin
Though any day your secrets end
Then again
Years may go by

You saved your own special friend
'Cause here you need something to hide her in
And you stay inside that foolish grin
When everyday now secrets end
Oh and then again
Years may go by

No comments: